In spite of a heavy snowfall on April 15, 1858, the parishioners of St. Mary’s Oswego, New York, gave a warm, cordial welcome to four young sisters who had arrived from St. Louis, Missouri. Soon more sisters joined them and a day school was established, as well as an academy and a home for orphans. This pattern of ministry continued as sisters were invited to serve in various parishes throughout the diocese.
The Albany Province sisters offer many gifts to our broken world. They are mindful of the devastation to our planet and have worked to restore the Hudson River to pristine quality. They are dedicated to educating their students and constituencies about being responsible for Earth’s well-being.. One of the prized gifts is Carondelet Music Center. Founded in 1992, the Center fosters and encourages the inherent aesthetic, social and spiritual benefits of active music-making. The professional and dedicated staff strives to nurture and encourage a life-long love of music as they build on students’ interests and capabilities. They believe that musical appreciation and musical expression are important life skills. Not only do they enrich and expand the well-being of our society, as a cultural asset, active music participation assists individual growth in multiple capacities across the lifespan.
In The News
- Sister Joan Lescinski to attend Higher Ed Summit in Mexico (3/23/2017) - Sister Joan Lescinski to attend Higher Education Summit in Mexico Sister Joan Lescinski, CSJ, president of St. Ambrose University, will ...Read More
- Sister Mary Jane Smith is one of the “Faces of Faith” (11/4/2016) - Sister Mary Jane Smith, CSJ is a founder and former executive director of Unity House in Albany, N.Y. The Albany ...Read More
- Sister Chris Pologa experiences flooding in Baton Rouge (9/1/2016) - The Evangelist, newspaper for the Diocese of Albany, N.Y., published a profile of our Sister Chris Pologa, CSJ, who has ...Read More
- Sister Mary Anne Nelson, a professor who rocks! (8/5/2016) - Sister Mary Anne Nelson, the head of the music industry program at The College of Saint Rose in Albany, New ...Read More
- Sister Betsy Van Deusen talks about ministry (5/18/2016) - Sister Betsy Van Deusen, CSJ spoke to Joe Donohue of public radio station WAMC in Albany, N.Y. about her ministry ...Read More
- Sister Linda Neil honored for human rights work (5/18/2016) - On May 17, Sister Linda Neil, CSJ, received the Rev. Robert Lamar Humanitarian Award from the Interfaith Alliance of New ...Read More
- Sister Mary Jane Smith profiled again for ministry (2/16/2016) - Sister Mary Jane Smith, CSJ, founder of Unity House in Troy, N.Y., as recently honored for her lifetime of ...Read More
- Sister Betsy Van Deusen celebrates 25 Years as a CSJ (1/27/2016) - The Evangelist, the diocesan newspaper in Albany, N.Y., has published a lovely profile of our Sister J. Elizabeth "Betsy" Van ...Read More
- Shaker Pointe recognized for environmental design (1/7/2016) - Shaker Pointe, a nonprofit independent senior living community built by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet across the street ...Read More
- An El Paso Posada (1/6/2016) - The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet have made a special congregation-wide commitment to welcoming the Dear Neighbor in the ...Read More