Skip to content
Home / Locations / Albany / Albany history

Albany history

Province timeline

1858

Arrival in New York

In spite of a heavy snowfall on April 15, 1858, the parishioners of St. Mary’s in Oswego, New York, gave a warm, cordial welcome to four young sisters who had arrived from St. Louis, Missouri. They had been invited by Reverend Joseph Guerdet, pastor of St. Mary’s Church, to teach the children of local immigrants. The sisters were placed in a three-story building housing a convent, school and an orphanage, and they began their service immediately.

1858

1861

Mother Agatha Guthrie

Mother Agatha Guthrie (pictured) became the first provincial superior of the Albany Province. Among other things, she oversaw the development of elementary and secondary schools. By the early 1960s, 75% of the active sisters were involved in education.

1861

1864

First Provincial House

The first Provincial House in Troy, New York opened.

1864

1903

Hospital opens

St. Mary’s Hospital in Amsterdam, New York opened.

1903

1920

Two colleges open

Sister Mary Blanche Rooney, CSJ co-founded The College of Saint Rose in Albany, recognizing a need for higher education for women.

St. Mary’s School of Nursing also opened during this year and remained open until 1987.

1920

1964

Carondelet Educational Center opens

Our sisters began teaching children with learning and speech disabilities through Carondelet Educational Center.

1964

1965

Vatican II Impact

The impact of Vatican II led to an expansion in sisters’ roles and ministries. Sisters adapted to the changing times and became directors of religious education, organized centers for social services and assisted in forming lay leadership.

1965

1992

Carondelet Music Center opens

The Carondelet Music Center opened. During it’s 25 years of existence, the center engaged over 200 students, ranging in age from 3 to 88, eventually closing in 2017.

1992

2005

Carondelet Hospitality Center Opens

Carondelet Hospitality Center opened to provide a space for people to experience the spirit of the Sisters of St. Joseph as they gathered for meetings, programs and retreats.

2005

2010

Shaker Pointe Founded

The Sisters of St. Joseph founded Shaker Pointe at Carondelet, which provides an all-inclusive independent living option to those who are 55+.

2010

2020

Eddy SeniorCare PACE

In January 2020, the senior program known as the Eddy SeniorCare PACE (Program for All-Inclusive Care of the Elderly) moved into the Provincial House to begin holistic care for our sisters and our Dear Neighbors (the residents of Albany and Rensselear Counties).

2020

About us

The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet are a congregation of Catholic sisters. We, and those who share our charism and mission, are motivated in all things by our profound love of God and our dear neighbors. We seek to build communities and bridge divides between people. Since our first sisters gathered in 1650, our members have been called to “do all things of which women are capable.” The first sisters of our congregation arrived in St. Louis, Missouri in 1836, and we now have additional locations in St. Paul, Albany, Los Angeles, Hawaii, Japan and Peru. Today, we commit to respond boldly to injustice and dare to be prophetic.

Contact

Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
Congregational Offices

Connect with us

©2022 Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.