St. Louis Province
On January 4, 1836, six Sisters of St. Joseph left their French homeland to set sail for a new country. They did so at the request of the Bishop of St. Louis, Missouri, who needed sisters to serve in his quickly-growing diocese. These courageous women adventured on a long journey, spending three difficult months at sea. They eventually arrived aboard a Mississippi River steamboat from New Orleans to begin their work in St. Louis. The work of the sisters
flourished, expanding across the country.
Today while the St. Louis sisters give thanks to God for the great variety gifts given, they focus with greater intensity on today’s needs: they help provide housing and health care for the poor in rural Alabama; they direct community centers in central Mississippi; they counsel immigrants and victims of torture & war; they provide respite and retreat times for the homeless. In these and in many other ways, the St. Louis Province serves the “dear neighbor” most in need.
In The News
- Avila University aquires Sisters of Selma materials (9/15/2016) - Thanks to its sponsorship by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, Avila University recently acquired the licensing rights and archival materials… ...Read More
- Sisters call for better farmworking conditions (9/9/2016) - The St. Louis Review, newspaper for the Archdiocese of St. Louis, covered our sisters' call for better conditions for farmworkers.… ...Read More
- Sisters featured in NCR series on prison ministry (4/7/2016) - Our Sisters Baya Clare, CSJ and Ruth Booker, CSJ from St. Paul, Minn. and Sisters Patty Clune, CSJ and Martha… ...Read More
- Sister Barbara Moore receives lifetime achievement award (3/29/2016) - The Catholic Health Association of the United States has named Sister Barbara Moore the 2016 recipient of its Lifetime Achievement Award.… ...Read More
- St. Louis Catholic Sisters launch billboard campaign (3/3/2016) - Our St. Louis province has joined an effort of St. Louis Catholic Sisters to spread a message of hope in… ...Read More
- Congregation Justice Coordinators Meet (10/26/2015) - The Congregational Justice Personnel met at St. Joseph’s Provincial House in Latham, NY, from October 22 to 24 and then… ...Read More
- Sisters of St. Joseph Communicators Converge on Albuquerque (10/7/2015) - Communicators from congregations across the US and Canada met in Albuquerque, New Mexico this week for the annual Communicators for… ...Read More
- Directors of Association from across the Congregation Meet in St. Paul (9/28/2015) - Directors of Association who met in St. Paul in September 2015. L to R: Joan Pauly Schneider (St. Paul), Mary… ...Read More
- Sisters Attend Imagining Justice (3/6/2015) - From March 2-4 Sisters Diane Smith and Louise McDonald from the LA Province and Clare Bass from the St. Louis… ...Read More