Becoming a Sister
It is wonderful to share your interest in religious life! If you are looking for a way to share deeply in loving God and loving your neighbor, you have found the right place as we continue this mission of Jesus.
We are ordinary women who do together what we could not do individually—give communal and corporate witness to God’s love.
Through our religious vows, we profess lifelong conversion and witness. We listen attentively, we love freely and we live simply.
New! Medaille House Virtual Discernment Retreat Series starting in September 2020
STEPS TO MEMBERSHIP
- Personal prayer and discernment
- Period of Inquiry: This is an intentional time for you and the community to become acquainted. You will receive invitations to community gatherings such as liturgical celebrations, lectures and discussions, prayer days, retreats, and social events. You will also regularly meet with others who are learning more about the community. During this time, it is important to meet with a spiritual director.
- Period of Candidacy: While you continue to earn your own salary, you will have an opportunity to live, pray, and share life with sisters and others who associate with the community. You will continue to participate in the variety of experiences of prayer, liturgy, learning, and socializing that occur in the community. You will cultivate a relationship with a sister who will companion you during your discernment. You may also live one to two years in community.
- Period of Novitiate: After applying and being accepted into the novitiate program, expect 12-24 months of deepening personal and communal prayer as well as studying scripture, liturgy, the community’s constitution, vowed membership, and the social teachings of the Church. You also spend time working in some of our ministries.
- Temporary Profession: This period begins with the first profession of vows. As you continue your communal, spiritual, and professional/ministerial growth over a period of three- to six years, you and the community will continue to discern your calling to make final vows as a Sister of St. Joseph.
- Life-long commitment to living vows in community and serving a world in need.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you would like to have a conversation with someone about discernment, please fill out this quick form.