CALLED by the Spirit, Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet have witnessed to and shared the great love of God since 1836.
TOGETHER in community, we share our lives, our hearts, and our ministry.
TO SERVE the dear neighbor without distinction–this mission has flowed from our charism of loving unity, shared by the Sisters of St. Joseph worldwide for 370 years.
A WORLD IN NEED beckons us to a life of service, using our gifts and skills to do all that we are capable of.
Becoming a Sister
It is wonderful to share your interest in religious life! If you are looking for a way to share deeply in loving God and loving your neighbor, you have found the right place as we continue this mission of Jesus.
We are ordinary women who do together what we could not do individually—give communal and corporate witness to God’s love.
Through our religious vows, we profess lifelong conversion and witness. We listen attentively, we love freely and we live simply.
New! Medaille House Virtual Discernment Retreat on January 16, 2021
STEPS TO MEMBERSHIP
- Personal prayer and discernment
- Period of Inquiry: This is an intentional time for you and the community to become acquainted. You will receive invitations to community gatherings such as liturgical celebrations, lectures and discussions, prayer days, retreats, and social events. You will also regularly meet with others who are learning more about the community. During this time, it is important to meet with a spiritual director.
- Period of Candidacy: While you continue to earn your own salary, you will have an opportunity to live, pray, and share life with sisters and others who associate with the community. You will continue to participate in the variety of experiences of prayer, liturgy, learning, and socializing that occur in the community. You will cultivate a relationship with a sister who will companion you during your discernment. You may also live one to two years in community.
- Period of Novitiate: After applying and being accepted into the novitiate program, expect 12-24 months of deepening personal and communal prayer as well as studying scripture, liturgy, the community’s constitution, vowed membership, and the social teachings of the Church. You also spend time working in some of our ministries.
- Temporary Profession: This period begins with the first profession of vows. As you continue your communal, spiritual, and professional/ministerial growth over a period of three- to six years, you and the community will continue to discern your calling to make final vows as a Sister of St. Joseph.
- Life-long commitment to living vows in community and serving a world in need.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
If you would like to have a conversation with someone about discernment, please fill out this quick form.
Learn more and find out about upcoming discernment events from our provinces:
MORE WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
There are other ways to become a part of our movement.
- Associates are women and men from various faith traditions, married and single, who extend the mission and share the spirit of the Sisters of St. Joseph without becoming vowed members.
- St. Joseph Workers are young women who spend a year doing full-time volunteer ministry and living in community.
- Friends of the congregation can stay connected by joining our mailing lists and following us on social media (find the links at the bottom of the page) to hear about our latest news and events.
Our latest vocations stories
- Help us welcome Noriko to Los Angeles! (12/7/2020) - Last week, Noriko Kuroki arrived in Los Angeles from her native Japan to continue her discernment about religious life. We…
- Meet our newest candidate: Lupe (10/30/2020) - On September 12, we welcomed our newest candidate, Guadalupe Moore. During her candidacy, Lupe will share community with our sisters…
- Sister Sally professes her first vows (7/27/2020) - Congratulations, Sister Sally Koch! by Carol Brong, CSJ Alive in Oneness with Christ and all creation, the theme for Sister…
- Meet Our Newest Candidate: Iffat Peter (6/23/2020) - Our newest candidate, Iffat Peter, began her candidacy in the Albany Province during a prayer service on June 11,…
- Meet our newest candidate: Kristina DeNeve (3/22/2019) - We recently welcomed our newest candidate into our formation process. Get to know her below. Name: Kristina DeNeve Entered: I…
- News from the Congregational Novitiate (6/1/2018) - Sisters Carol Brong, Jeanne Marie Gocha and Chizuru Yamada with a painting of the Trek of the Seven Sisters at…
- Meet our candidates: Sally Koch (8/19/2016) - The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet have recently welcomed three new candidates to our congregation! Sally Koch, Tracy Watson…
- Meet our candidates: Chizuru Yamada (8/17/2016) - The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet have recently welcomed three new candidates to our congregation! Sally Koch, Tracy Watson…