The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet seek to fill the part-time position of Bookkeeper/Accountant for the Congregational Offices.
General Description: The bookkeeper/accountant is responsible for handling the essential duties of financial recordkeeping, including recording financial transactions, managing accounts payable and receivable, reconciling bank statements, managing external payroll service, and providing financial information to the Congregational Leadership Team by analyzing accounting data and preparing reports.
Anticipated time commitment: Average of 15 hours/week (possibly increasing to 20 hours/week). Some weeks may be shorter, others longer (e.g. when reconciling monthly reports).
Hours: Office is open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. It is expected that at least some portion of bookkeeper/ accountant’s time will be during these hours.
Position available: Immediately. Actual start time may be negotiable.
Office address: 10777 Sunset Office Drive, Suite 10, St. Louis, MO 63127
- Develops system to account for financial transactions by establishing a chart of accounts; defines bookkeeping policies and procedures.
- Maintains subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Balances subsidiary accounts by reconciling entries.
- Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries.
- Balances general ledger by preparing a trial balance; reconciles entries.
- Maintains historical records by filing documents.
- Prepares financial reports by collecting analyzing and summarizing account information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforces adherence to requirements; files reports; advises management on needed actions.
- Makes weekly deposits.
- Pays bills and transfers funds in a timely manner.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information and trends.
- Secures financial information by completing database backups.
- Prepares and makes available all and any information necessary for the annual audit.
- Works with Congregational Treasurer and CLT to prepare and monitor the annual budget.
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication skills: not only the ability to make reports but also to explain them verbally and in writing.
- The capability of holding meetings and demonstrating financial facts to those in the company who need this information.
- The ability to get along well with others and the ability to work well in a team.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Computer skills, including a knowledge of Quick Books, Microsoft Office (Excel and Word, in particular) and a PDF program.
- The ability to sit long periods of time and concentrate on financial operations.
- The ability to move file boxes from one location to another.
Send cover letter and resume to: Miriam D. Ukeritis, CSJ c/o email@example.com